Archive for the ‘Blog’ Category
If you’re searching for where to buy puppies, look no further! Petland carries many different types of puppy breeds!
Adding a new furry family member can be a daunting task. It can be even more difficult if you haven’t shopped for a new pet in many years or ever in your life. The landscape of the puppy buying world is ever-changing and many people don’t know where to start. But that’s where we come in! At Petland, we pride ourselves on being experts on matching the right pet with the right family and meeting the needs of both. Our dedicated, knowledgeable Pet Counselors have dog breed information all but memorized and can definitively answer any questions you might have. We strive to continuously raise the bar for our customer experience and it shows!
Large breeds vs. small breeds, which is best?
Well, there is no right answer here and it really comes down to you. What’s your home environment like? Most large breed dogs need lots of space, but there’s always an exception! Think about a Great Dane that does great in small apartments or condos. And then vice versa, small breed dogs can usually thrive in small areas, if they have high exercise requirement, it might not work out. Many people just go with a breed that they’re used to, that they had growing up or that a family member has. However, this could be a mistake as the situation can be drastically different and another breed would fit better. We say try to keep an open mind when selecting a new puppy! Be accepting of new information, we’re here to help.
Puppy’s first night, now what?
Another thing we pride ourselves on is our puppy training program, the one for you humans! Not everyone has trained a new puppy, or maybe hasn’t trained in many years. We want to make sure every new puppy owner goes home with the tools necessary to be successful at housebreaking, teething and basic commands. The first few weeks with a new puppy are some of the hardest and patient, consistent training routines help keep everyone on track. We also carry the latest and greatest when it comes to products and supplies and our Pet Counselors can help you find what you need!
Think you’re ready to buy puppies at Petland? We think so! Check out all of our wiggly, cuddly little puppies on our available puppies page!
A fun, playful breed, a Boston terrier for sale is a great choice for people who want a cheerful and energetic companion!
There is so much that makes the Boston terrier a great addition to all sorts of families! Many people don’t realize that they are one of the only dog breeds to be bred originally in the United States from, you guessed it, Boston, Massachusetts! Boston Terriers are affectionately known as the “American Gentleman” of dogs due to their origins and the tuxedo-like quality of their black and white coats. They have been an American staple since the 1960s and have thrived in households due to their fun, affable nature. Think the Boston might be right for your family? Keep reading for interesting facts about the temperament and characteristics of the Boston terrier. Want to see pictures of the Boston terrier for sale in our store, check out our available puppies page!
Boston terriers have a look and personality that make you sit up and take notice!
- Bostons have a short, smooth coat that is almost shiny in appearance. They are either brindle with white markings, black with white markings, or seal (a chocolaty red) with white markings. And their tails are either cute little nubs or “screw tails” that resemble a piglets. So stinking cute!
- They vary greatly in weight and be as small at 14lbs and go all the way up to 28lbs! They have an average lifespan of about 12-14 years because of their smaller stature.
- Bostons certainly require exercise, as they are an energetic breed. However, a few short play sessions daily or moderate walks are better than long exercise sessions. Because of the flat nature of their faces, they can get overheated from extreme play or weather conditions.
- The Boston does great with children and other pets. They are heartier than other small breed dogs and can handle a little rougher of a play time.
- An occasional bath, supplemented by brushing, is really all that’s needed to keep the coat looking good. This will also control shedding, which occurs, but is minimal in this breed.
Unfortunately, there is so much more to the Boston terrier breed than we can get into today! Feel free to give our knowledgeable Pet Counselors a call with any additional questions about our Boston terriers we have for sale in our store. We can definitely agree on one thing, Boston terrier puppies are good at giving lots of puppy kisses!
Searching for Bichon Frise puppies for sale? Look no further, Petland Knoxville has the Bichon puppies you’re looking for!
The Bichon Frise (pronounced bee-SHON free-ZAY, we know, it’s a mouthful!) is considered to be a descendant of a type of water spaniel and was known in the Mediterranean area as far back as the Middle Ages. Bred as companions for sailors and nobility alike, the Bichon has enjoyed its reign as one of the most popular lap dogs in history. Bichons have long been recognized as good companion dogs because of their cheerful, even temperaments. They have recently had a surge of new popularity because of their hair coats that have little to no pet dander and are wonderful for those with allergies. Want to know about this frilly named little puffball? Read along with our blog to discover interesting facts about Bichons! Petland always has Bichon Frise puppies for sale, just check out our available puppies page!
It’s not all just white poofy hair and button noses for the Bichon, check out their temperament and characteristics:
- The Bichon Frise is considered a wonderful all-around pet that is both playful and gentle. Bichons get along well with other pets. And they are generally considered very good with kids of all ages.
- Bichons are active dogs, but because they are small, they don’t need much room for play and exercise. They are suitable for apartment living. Bichons are not known for barking, which is a real plus for people who live in urban areas.
- They do require considerable time for the maintenance of their luxurious coats. They need grooming, bathing and trimming on a regular basis to keep them from getting matted.
- Bichons average in weight from 8-12lbs and are slightly longer than they are tall. Their coats are either all white, buff and white and apricot and white.
- They need patience and consistency with training. The Bichon is very intelligent, but sometimes that means they might not want to do what you want them to!
The Bichon Frise makes a great pet for many different types of families! Find out more about the Bichon Frise puppies for sale in our store by giving our dedicated Pet Counselors a call today!
Golden Retrievers for Sale – Don’t miss out on this loving, family-oriented breed!
If you’re searching for Golden Retrievers for sale, you’ve come to the right place! Here at Petland Knoxville, this extremely popular breed is one of our favorites to place with all types of loving homes! Being such an easy-going and versatile breed, it’s no wonder that the Golden Retriever is one of the most popular breeds in the country! There are so many great qualities that make the Golden a perfect companion and we’ll go over a few of them today. Read along to see if Golden Retrievers for sale might be the right fit for your family!
Here are some defining characteristics of the look and personality of the Golden Retriever:
- Like the name suggests, the Golden Retriever can range from an almost white light gold to a dark, reddish golden. Their hair is longish and tends to fluff out in the chest region, giving the breed a “lion-esque” quality.
- The range in size from about 55lbs-75lbs and have a lifespan of 10-12 years.
- They have a water-repellant double coat that keeps their body temperature stabilized. They can do well in both warmer and cooler climates.
- Grooming or brushing is necessary as the thick coat can become tangled or matted. They also shed seasonally.
- The Golden isn’t just a pretty face! They were bred as hunting companions, for which they are still used to this day.
- The Golden Retriever is the most popular breed chosen to be service animals for people with all kinds of disabilities. Their sweet nature and eagerness to please makes them great for this line of work!
- There are few breeds as wonderful with children as the Golden Retriever. They are patient, kind and even though they are a large breed dog, they make excellent lap warmers!
We hope you enjoyed our blog about one of our favorite breeds of all time! Have more questions about the Golden Retriever? Give our dedicated, knowledgeable Pet Counselors a call to find out more about the Golden Retriever puppies for sale in our store! Or check our available puppies page to see pictures of all our adorable puppers!
If You Are Looking for a Family Dog with Protection Abilities, German Shepherds for Sale Are the Way to Go!
While the German Shepherd Dog is touted as America’s favorite police, guard and military dog, it isn’t all about work and no play! This is one of the most popular breeds in America and shows no evidence of slowing down. Arguably one of the most recognizable breeds of dog, the GSD is a stalwart companion and is considered extremely loyal, even past all of those good looks. Here at Petland Knoxville, the German is one of our most sought after large breeds, and for good reason! There are so many personality traits that make the GSD a perfect four-legged addition to many families.
A closer look at the famous German Shepherd Dog:
- It probably goes without saying that the German indeed hails from Germany and was brought to the U.S. in 1907. They started out as herding dogs, but once it was realized their capacity for hard work, the GSD exploded on the scene as a premier service breed.
- The German has a couple variations on their coats, with sable and black and tan being the most common. However, they also come in black and silver, all-over black and white.
- Their coats are longish, but do not require clipping or trimming. As you can probably guess, German owners are in for a bit of shedding, so we suggest using de-shedding brushes weekly.
- They range in size from about 55lbs all the way up past 100lbs! Their lifespan is about 10-12 years.
- The German trains excellently, but does require a firm hand with that training. You must be consistent with training, they have a tendency towards doing what they want, instead of what you want!
- The German is an active outside breed, but curiously calm indoors. This makes the well-suited for apartment life as long as they get the exercise and mental stimulation that they need. A German kept indoors all the time may turn antsy or destructive, the need to be challenged.
- Germans are great with children. However, they need to be introduced to all manner of people and environments while they are puppies, otherwise they are very wary of unknown situations.
Like we said before, there are so many reasons to open your home to a German Shepherd puppy! We promise you won’t regret it! Want to check out all of our available German Shepherds for sale? Take a peek at our available puppies page to see pictures or stop by the store for a snuggle!
Our Cavalier Puppies for Sale Are Good for Cuddles, Kisses and Lots of Love!
Hello fellow animal lovers! Here at Petland, we think that the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is one of the sweetest, most precious-faced breeds out there! While their name might be a bit of a mouthful, the Cavalier is actually one of the easiest breeds to place with a new family because of their laid-back disposition. As a breed that was once bred for royal families, they remain the ultimate lap dog to this day. In fact, this breed is so popular that we always have Cavalier puppies for sale in our store!
Want to know a little more about this regal breed? Check out these facts about the Cavalier:
- The Cavalier is extremely versatile as a dog breed. They are able to work well in smaller apartments or sprawling country farms. With minimal exercise requirements, the Cavalier can thrive almost anywhere!
- Their coats are long, but no clipping or trimming is required. They shed only seasonally and need only weekly brushings to keep their fur in tip top shape.
- They typically weigh between 13-19lbs, with an average lifespan of 12-15 years. Cavaliers have a tendency to become overweight, so tread lightly with the treats and no human food please!
- The Cavalier excels in agility and obedience show, however they need a patient and consistent training regimen for housebreaking.
- Cavaliers are wonderful with children, which is sometimes hard to find with small breeds. The also make great therapy pets and work well with elderly people.
- Because of their slightly smushed faces, the Cavalier does not do well in the heat. Make sure to limit their time outside in the summer to keep them from overheating.
Did you find that you love the Cavalier as much as we do? We sure hope so! Make sure you visit our available puppies page to see all of our adorable Cavalier puppies for sale. Or give us a call today to come down and see our puppies in person and get some kisses for yourself!
Boxer Puppies for Sale
The Boxer is one of the most popular dog breeds in the United States based on AKC Registration Statistics. If you are looking for Boxer puppies for sale and have wanted to own one, this guide can help you learn more about the dependable, kind and affectionate Boxer.
The Boxer is a service dog and is known to be one of the best seeing-eye dogs. This dog dates back in history as a courier dog and a guardian. It has many excellent traits and some downsides too.
What makes a Boxer a great pet?
- This breed does not require regular grooming; because of its coat, it does not need trimming or stripping.
- This breed is the perfect watchdog. It is alert and will bark when there is an intruder. Its owner and his family can depend on a boxer in case a situation escalates.
- This breed needs to exercise and play on a regular basis and thus is ideal for owners who run, jog or train outdoors.
- This breed is ideal for kids because it is energetic, playful and tolerant. It is also gentle with other smaller animals or pets in the house.
- This breed is ideal for people who don’t have previous experience with caring and training for dogs.
- This breed is for families not just for singles; it is tough but sweet and can protect its owners anytime.
Before getting a Boxer, here’s what you should remember
A Boxer is a dog that can steal anyone’s heart. But before checking out Boxer puppies for sale, take a look at these downsides of owning one.
If you are not a very active person then you might reconsider a Boxer. It needs to get out and play or run. Your Boxer could only develop health issues such as obesity if you don’t take it out for a walk or run. If you live in a small apartment then you might have trouble dealing with a boxer. Aside from needing a lot of space to exercise, it could bark loudly and cause a nuisance.
A Boxer may not easily tolerate hot and cold temperatures though so before taking a walk, find out how hot or cold it is before you take it out. Still want a Boxer for a pet? Then it must be time to check out Boxer puppies for sale.
Bulldogs for Sale, what makes this breed perfect for you and your family!
There are quite a number of popular dog breeds but one of the most interesting is the affectionate, kind and loyal bulldog. This dog breed is actually a general term but there are several kinds: French Bulldogs, English Bulldogs and American Bulldogs. All these types have the classic small yet round body with a typical gait. The face of a bulldog has that typical scowl with folds under the nose and just below the lips. Most people who love this breed fall for its sweet look and very affectionate nature and this is why many bulldogs for sale ads are found almost everywhere. Petland Knoxville always has bulldogs for sale, they’re one of our most popular types of breeds!
If you love to own a bulldog then you must find out more about the breed before you get one. here is a short guide that will help you determine if this is the right breed for you:
Bulldogs are loyal and loving
This breed is very loyal to its owners and his family. It will stay by your side when you are single and will even remain with you even if you have children of your own. Bulldogs are also very tolerant with kids making it the all-around baby sitter. Small children can play tea time, dress up or makeup with a bulldog and it won’t mind at all.
Bulldogs are easy to groom
Bulldogs don’t need regular grooming and thus won’t take a large grooming bill. But it is a fact that it still needs brushing so it can keep its coat healthy and soft. This dog needs help though when it comes to cleaning its facial folds and could drool a lot. But other than these, it is easy to manage.
Bulldogs could be too adorable
Ready to take a bulldogs for sale ad? That’s a reasonable response since many find bulldogs quite irresistible and adorable at the same time. this dog won’t bark at strangers and even intruders so don’t expect it to guard your house.
Bulldogs don’t exercise
Bulldogs are not into that outdoor fitness thing! They would rather prefer to stay indoors and sleep. This breed is for people who would also have the same lifestyle but still it would be best to encourage it to go out and have some exercise.
Bulldogs can live in an apartment
This breed does not require a large yard to play in so it could live in small apartment or a condo. It cannot tolerate very hot and very cold environments so it would rather keep itself indoors.
Are you looking for French Bulldog puppies for sale?
Dogs are the perfect companion but you want to first examine their temperament, personality, and qualities to ensure that French bulldog puppies will be the best companion for life. Before viewing our French bulldog puppies for sale, let’s examine the distinctive characteristics of this breed. Petland always has French Bulldog puppies for sale, they are one of our customer’s favorite breeds! Check out our available Frenchies right here!
French Bulldog qualities and characteristics
French bulldog puppies for sale are a smaller breed of dog, with a short stout stature, and a short coat. They have a range of coat colors, from black, beige, cream fawn or a variety. They have minute tails and pointed bat-like ears with rounded eyes. This dog breed was created by breeding bulldogs from England to ratters in Paris during the 1800s.
Showing or owning, there’s a difference!
If your purpose is to show your dog, note that the AKC French bulldog standard sets ideal colors at brindle, fawn, white, or brindle and white, with other colors causing disqualification.The dog should have a large and square head, with a flat slightly rounded skull at top. The muzzle is deep and pulled back. Here at Petland, we really focus more on the pet quality breeds, so make sure you let us know exactly what you’re looking for!
If you’re checking out French bulldog puppies for sale as a pet, coat color and other physical attributes shouldn’t matter. If you’re seeking a loyal pet, the French bulldog may suit you. This is a type of dog that likes to cuddle and stay close to its owners. They have a very friendly demeanour and enjoy meeting new people, and running around having fun.
Things to watch out for with French Bulldogs
This is a dog with a thin coat that is susceptible to the cold. They’ll need warm clothing in inclement weather. They’re also susceptible to excessive heat. Their average lifespan can be from around 8 to 10 years. When searching for French bulldog puppies for sale, consider where you live. These dogs are suitable for apartment or condo living, as they have a calm demeanour and are reasonable with barking, so they won’t irritate your neighbors.
There are so many qualities about the French Bulldog that make them perfect for families! If you want to check out our French Bulldog puppies for sale, just visit our available puppies page!
Okay, ladies and gentleman! The breed we will be focusing on today is the fiercely intelligent and loyal German Shepherd Dog! Not only has this breed been a beloved pet of Americans for many years, it has even been number two on AKC’s most popular breed list in 2014! We love the German Shepherd (I mean, come on, have you seen those precious ears?) and we hope you enjoy the interesting facts below! Petland always has German Shepherd puppies for sale!
Surprise, surprise…the Germans standardized the breed, but wait, there’s more!
It was 1889 when a breeder by the name of Max von Stephanitz saw a sable and black “wolf-like” dog and was impressed by its intelligence and discipline. He immediately bought the dog and started the first German Shepherd Dog club. The club’s motto was “utility and intelligence” with looks and confirmation a distant second.
As Germany became more industrialized, von Stephanitz realized he had to find a way to maintain the GSDs relevance for all time. Because of their keen intelligence and eagerness to please, they were a perfect fit for both police work and service workers. And that’s why you still see the breed working in law enforcement to this day! Thank you, Max von Stephanitz!
The German Shepherd Dogs were big-time movie stars.
Most everyone knows the story of the GSD puppy who was rescued from a bombed-out kennel in France during World War I and rose to Hollywood stardom in the 1920s. But Rin Tin Tin wasn’t the first GSD to become a movie star. He was preceded by a retired police dog, Strongheart.
The on-screen heroics of these two superb dogs were the first glimpse of this incredible breed for most Americans. Handsome as any movie star, Rin Tin Tin and Strongheart had other qualities, like courage, athleticism, and brains, that made them irresistible—the kind of rugged heartthrobs who could do their own stunts. They catapulted the breed to the top of the popularity charts, and people are still writing books about Rin Tin Tin to this day.
Their heroism knows no bounds.
German Shepherds will do anything for their owners, protecting their loved ones is their number one priority! Even GSDs with no training whatsoever have taken bullets for their owners, dash through the wilderness to get help, and plunge into raging waters to drag drowning children to safety. When you have a German Shepherd Dog, you have a bodyguard for life!
Well, we certainly hope you liked learning more about this wonderful, family-friendly breed!
Want to find out more about the German Shepherd puppies for sale in our store? Check out our available puppies page to see all of our adorable German Shepherd puppies for sale!