Archive for the ‘Blog’ Category
Every child dreams of having a pet puppy, but as parents, it’s difficult to know when the time is right to bring a puppy home.
With busy schedules and after school activities, adding a puppy to the mix may seem like a bit much. At Petland Knoxville, we understand that puppies require love and attention, so we want to help your family make this big decision. Here are five ways to tell your children are ready for you to buy a puppy.
Your family has discussed the decision together.
A family pet is a family decision. Everyone needs to be onboard with having a puppy, because the responsibility of taking care of the puppy will be shared. Sit down as a family and allow everyone to share how they feel about having a puppy. Be sure to discuss the responsibilities as well, which includes feeding, walking, cleaning, and most importantly loving the puppy.
If your family is planning on buying a puppy, take a Saturday trip to Petland and meet the puppies and friendly staff. Let the kids have time to interact with the in-store puppies, and ask any questions you may have about pet ownership.
Your children are communicating an interest in animals.
As your children grow, they will begin to understand the world and gain a sense of empathy. When your children begin to express an interest in the well being of animals, they are ready to learn the responsibilities of pet ownership.
The routine tasks such as feeding, walking, and bathing a puppy will come in handy later in life. At Petland, we believe that the children of today are the pet owners of tomorrow.
Your children’s playmates have pets.
If your children’s friends all have pets, your children can greatly benefit from the shared experience of pet ownership. Children learn through relating, so your children should not be the only ones without a pet.
Your children are spending too much time with technology.
While technology is a great tool for communication and efficiency, today’s children get far too much exposure to computers, tablets, and cell phones. Increased technology use usually results in a sedentary lifestyle. Having a puppy encourages children to put the phone down and get outside to play.
Your children are excelling in school.
If your children are excelling in school, what better way to reward them than a surprise trip to Petland to buy a puppy! Good grades deserve creative rewards and your children will be thrilled when they visit Petland and interact with the wide selection of puppies.
Lab Puppies for Sale: Say Hello to America’s Favorite Dog!
When searching for Lab puppies for sale in Tennessee, it’s important to know what you’re in for! Like with any dog breed, they have certain qualities that might fit right in with your family or might have you looking at different options. Petland prides itself in being one of the most knowledgeable establishments in breed education and, more importantly, breed selection for you and your family. To check out all of our adorable Lab puppies for sale (and many more!) just check out our available puppies page!
The Labrador Retriever is a very popular dog breed and started out as a hunting-type dog. This breed is very loyal, intelligent and very endearing and thus a great family dog, guide dog and even for military work. Labrador Retrievers are very easy going and will work great with kids and families alike.
A few awesome qualities of a Labrador Retriever pup that you must keep in mind:
- Labs require minimal coat maintenance and does not need regular grooming or stripping. You might need to vacuum often though because tends to shed.
- This breed is one of the easiest to train and that makes it ideal for families and new owners. They also like to be challenged with new commands, always with a treat as a reward!
- This dog is a good watchdog and will bark if there are intruders and if there is imminent danger but is unlikely to scare strangers because of its soft looks.
- Labradors can handle the cold or hot weather, but it needs a large space or room to move around, walk and exercise. Expect daily walks and runs with this dog.
- This dog is very low maintenance and thus perfect for first time dog owners. It tends to be wonderful with children and can be very playful. It can also work well with other dogs and pets.
Do you think that a Labrador retriever might be the right breed of dog for you and your family? Don’t hesitate to call and make an appointment to come and snuggle with our Lab puppies for sale in our store today!
A Puppy in Your Apartment
Perhaps you’re just moving from your parents and getting your own place? Perhaps the roommate life is no longer attractive. You want your own space, but want to share it with perhaps a pet, not someone else. You haven’t decided on what kind, but you have decided to get a puppy for your apartment.
Below are 5 great breeds of apartment puppies:
These beautiful breeds can be perfect apartment puppies. Even at their full grown weight, they stay around 8-12lbs. They’re playful and energetic, always requiring moderate exercise. They train quickly and easily, making them an all around great companion!
They, too, are small dogs, not getting bigger than 13-18lbs. They are energetic and require moderate daily exercising. They have a low barking level, which tends to make them perfect apartment puppies. Check out some of our Boston Terriers at Petland’s website.
They hold the gold star for apartment puppies. English Bulldogs sleep a lot and they’re very quiet when awake. They don’t run a lot nor do they make much noise. Well, they are LOUD snorers, but that’s only heard in your immediately vicinity! They shed, but not excessively. This breed is synonymous with the term couch potato.
They have a compact size and low activity, thus not requiring much exercise. They shed a minimal amount and they rarely bark. They are the perfect apartment puppies and can be found at our store Petland.
Right up there with English Bulldogs, Pugs are popular amongst apartment dwellers. They are so quiet, some owners claim they’ve never heard them bark. They detest exercise and only require the bare minimum. They would rather sleep, which means that’s exactly how they spend lots of their time – sleeping! They will surely fit nicely living in an apartment.
It’s no mystery why the Golden Retriever is so popular!
The well-mannered, fun-loving dogs are a hit with children and adults alike. The Golden Retriever is the 3rd favorite dog in America, only after the Labrador Retriever and The German Shepherd. Here at Petland Knoxville, we always have Golden Retrievers for sale! Check out these facts to enhance your breed knowledge on man’s best friend!
1. Golden Retriever Beginnings – Lord Tweedmouth of Scotland
Golden Retrievers truly have very highborn roots, being the creation of Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks, 1st Baron Tweedmouth, aka the Lord Tweedmouth. Lord Tweedmouth began shaping this noble dog in his native Scotland by breeding flat-coated retrievers with the Tweed water spaniels.
2. Do You Smell That? Golden Retrievers Can!
As evident by their apt names, Golden Retrievers were primarily intended to be a hunting dogs. They also possess a “soft mouth”, which allows them to retrieve delicate game without damaging it. Because of this selective breeding, the Golden has one of the best sniffers in the game. They are also employed as bomb sniffers and search and rescue dogs as much as hunting companions these days!
3. The Golden Retriever Gets an “A”!
Golden Retrievers aren’t just for looks, no sir! This family-friendly breed also possesses an exceptionally keen mind as well. They are listed as the 4th smartest dog breed, trailing only Border Collies, Poodles and German Shepherds.
4. The AKC First Recognized the Breed in 1925
The AKC has always touted the excellence of the Golden Retriever’s personality and physical prowess, but it actually took a while before they were officially recognized. While the breed was popular from the very beginning, around the late 1800s, it wasn’t until 1925 that they graced the AKC with their very furry presence.
5. What a Good Listener! The Golden Obedience Trifecta
The American Kennel Club introduced its official obedience trials in 1977, and its first three obedience champions were golden retrievers. The very first was a female named Moreland’s Golden Tonka, aka Tonka. During Tonka’s career, she earned eight perfect scores and 176 “High in Trial” awards.
6. And This is Where a Golden Retriever Really Shines!
Although the originators of this breed might not have had anything but an excellent hunting dog in mind, the Golden has shown that their fierce intelligence and loyal countenance has a much different application these days. Golden retrievers are the perfect assistant dogs for people with various disabilities. Assistance-dog organizations all train Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers and Lab-golden crosses for the job almost exclusively!
So don’t miss out and check our available puppies page for our Golden Retrievers for sale today! Want to know more about the Golden Retriever, just give us a call today!
Our Huskies for Sale are one of the most recognizable breeds in the world!
A Siberian Husky could be the pet you have been waiting for. If you’re looking for Huskies for sale, make sure to get to know all about the Siberian Husky before you get one! Petland Knoxville always has Siberian Huskies for sale in our store! Check out the blue- and brown-eyes beauties on our available puppies page!
The Husky is a working dog and is from Siberia. It has a double coat with thick fur, pointy and perky ears and gorgeous markings all over its body. This dog is very intelligent and strong; together with its pack, it pulls sleds loaded with people, cargo and supplies. Huskies have evolved over the years from an outdoor dog roaming across the frozen tundra to a stay-at-home family pet.
The Husky has the following characteristics:
- Huskies require regular grooming so that their fur maintains its good shape and shine. It is recommended that you never shave your Husky, even in the summer. The coat actually regulates temperature, it doesn’t just heat!
- With that double coat, shedding is inevitable! So be sure to vacuum your carpet, bed, car and sofa.
- This dog is very easy to train and has a good memory; it will bark when there is danger or if there is an intruder.
- You must be careful if you live in hot, humid climates. It can adapt well in the cold because of its double fur coat.
- The Husky requires daily exercise and therefore you need to take it for a walk or have extended play time several times daily.
- This dog needs a firm hand when it comes to training. You must be consistent with commands and exercise positive training methods
- This dog is friendly with other pets but may not do well with smaller children. The best course of action is to let a Siberian Husky puppy associate with children at an early age.
Still set on a Siberian husky puppy for you and your family? Trust Petland to have Husky puppies from only the most reputable breeders in the country! Come down and play with our puppies today!
The post Huskies for Sale, Say Hello to the Coolest Dog in Our Store! appeared first on Petland Blog.
Yorkie Puppies for Sale: This is your breed for lots of cuddles and affection!
Are you looking for Yorkie puppies for sale? The Yorkshire Terrier is one of the most popular small breed dogs in the country and for good reason! The Yorkie is loyal, affectionate and makes for a superb lap warmer. But this popular breed might not be right for everyone. Read ahead to make sure that a Yorkie fits your personality and lifestyle. Petland Knoxville always has Yorkies for sale in Tennessee, check out their cute little faces on our available puppies page!
Here are a few things that you might not know about the Yorkshire Terrier breed:
- Yorkies are small, but full of spunk! They can have a lot of energy and are up for pretty much any activity. If you are the type who likes a lazier breed, the Yorkie might not be for you.
- Yorkies are not just for show, they make great companions. They love attention and they crave for their owners to lavish attention on them. Better be ready to take them for a walk, talk to them or just to be with them when lounging out!
- Yorkies are very affectionate and may even coax you into a hug or a belly scratch!
- Yorkies are small, but are not great for littler kids. They are often too small to be handled carefully by small children and can sustain injuries easily.
- Expect a grooming budget with this breed. It needs constant grooms and trimming. Most Yorkie owners love to bond with their dog by brushing or arranging their fur.
- Yorkies are very easy to train and are very smart. It can be stubborn during the first days of training, so it’s wise to start early and be very consistent.
- Despite its size, it can bark and growl to alert its owners of any danger. It can be very protective.
- You need to coach this dog to play with other pets and to start really early if you want it to bond with children.
Time to look for Yorkie puppies for sale in person? Here at Petland, we can help you pick out the perfect four-legged family member for you and your family. Just give us a call to make an appointment or stop in today!
Have you been searching for Miniature Goldendoodle puppies for sale? Read along with our blog to see if this adorable breed is the right one for you!
It can be a daunting job to narrow down the right breed of puppy for you and your family! There are so many breeds out there to choose from. Here at Petland Knoxville, we specialize in matching the right puppy to the right family and making sure you have the tools you need to ensure your newest family member stays happy and healthy! We also pride ourselves with having expansive knowledge on dog breeds so we can educate and inform our customers on the perfect pet. So, if you have been searching for miniature Goldendoodle puppies for sale in Tennessee, then this is your chance to get to know this cute and active breed better before you decide to make a purchase.
Here are some of the defining characteristics of the very popular Miniature Goldendoodle:
- The Miniature Goldendoodle is actually defined as a hybrid breed. It comes from crossing a Golden Retriever and a Miniature Poodle.
- Because of the smaller size of the Poodle, Miniature Goldendoodles typically stay anywhere from 20-35lbs full grown.
- Many people choose the Mini Goldendoodle because it sheds less than the average dog, making it a candidate for people with allergies.
- Because the breed has hair that continues to grow, as opposed to fur, it requires occasional grooming and brushing.
- This breed is very attentive to their owners and will listen to commands readily. It is considered a easy to train breed and good for first time owners
- This dog may be small in size, but it can become a good watchdog. It will bark and growl when there is an intruder. They can be very protective of their owners.
- It can live in an apartment, but you need to take it for a walk every day as they have lots of energy, especially as puppies.
- The Miniature Goldendoodle can also handle weather variances and will do well in hot or in even cold climates.
- This dog is one of the best breeds for families with kids. It is energetic, playful and will be very affectionate. It also goes well with other animals or pets at home.
- This breed comes in a variety of colors and hair coats, depending on the color of its parents.
- The Miniature Goldendoodle is fun-loving and good natured; it remains one of our most popular breeds for good reason!
Now that you delved a little deeper into this sweet breed, do you still think a Miniature Goldendoodle could be right for you? Check out all our precious Miniature Goldendoodle puppies for sale on our available puppies page! We look forward to seeing you in our store soon!
Boxer Puppies for Sale – This is the breed you and your family have been looking for!
Before you check out our Boxer puppies for sale, take time to learn about the Boxer, one of the most powerful and highly-intelligent dog breeds. Here at Petland Knoxville, the Boxer is without a doubt one of our most popular breeds for families! They are easy to train, always up for some playtime (or downtime!) and get along well with other pets. What more could you ask for? If you want to check out pictures of our available Boxer puppies for sale in Tennessee, just check out our available puppies!
Here are some things that you may have never known about the Boxer :
- A Boxer has a lot of excellent characteristics: it is loyal, strong, intelligent and alert. Boxers are all muscle and can be intimidating to look at, but their goofy personality makes them easy to be comfortable with immediately.
- The Boxer is a dog that loves to take responsibility for their owners. It will make sure that you stay protected along with your family and property. This dog is extremely intelligent and will bark or growl if it senses danger or the presence of an intruder.
- It is also one of the breeds chosen as seeing eye dogs because they are very dedicated, smart and loyal.
- A Boxer is very popular and comes in brindle and fawn colors. The AKC recognizes this breed as one of the most popular in the US!
- You won’t have to spend a lot on grooming when you have a Boxer. In fact, it does not need regular grooming or trimming, but it’s recommended that you brush its coat regularly to make it clean and shiny.
- Boxers are smart, but some can have attention issues. The key is to start early when training your Boxer puppy.
- This dog needs regular exercise, but may not adapt well to extreme cold and hot weather conditions. A Boxer is the best companion for someone who is into fitness and exercises frequently outdoors.
- Anyone who has not trained a dog before can find this breed easy to manage and is perfect for new owners.
After reading all this, are you still interested in bringing a new Boxer puppy home with you and your family? Here at Petland, we specialize in making sure you have all the supplies and training you need with a new four-legged family member!
Good Afternoon, fellow animal lovers! Today, we want to talk dive a little bit deeper in talking about which small breeds of dogs fit well with families that have small children!
With so many breeds out there to choose from, it can be a hard decision to make. But don’t worry, Petland is experienced with matching the right puppy with the right family! The only hard decision you’ll be making now is which of these pint-sized kid friendly dog breeds you’ll want to take home.
Whether it’s lounging inside or being active outside, the Pug is a perfect match for families with young children. Even though they are considered a small breed, they are very hearty and can take some rough love! Because of their flat faces, they don’t do well in extreme temperatures, but as good apartment dogs, they won’t go crazy if inside for long periods of time.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Sweet and loving to a fault, the Cavalier is the quintessential family dog. Even if they are being tugged on or trod on, this breed will always stand by its people! The Cavalier tends to not be a super active dog, so keep that in mind if your children are always on the go. Think more dress up and tea party time! Want to know more? We recently did a blog about the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
The Poodle is an excellent choice for children or family members with allergies. As a hypoallergenic breed, the Poodle has hair as opposed to fur, severely cutting down on its dander and making it nearly non-shedding in comparison to other animals. However, because the hair is constantly growing, you will have to have the dog grooming periodically.
Not many people haven’t heard of this breed! The Beagle has been a popular choice for families for many years because of its ability to be a loyal companion. Technically a small to medium-sized pooch, the Beagle is the largest on our list today. They are an especially great breed for several small children or kids that are very active, as the Beagle loves to run and play!
This playful breed is one of our favorites to match with families! The Boston is loving, easy-to-train and does well with small children and other pets. As another hearty breed, the Boston can take some accidental licks and keep on ticking! They also tend to be quieter than some other small breeds. Same goes for the flat faced Boston as the Pug, limit outdoor time when the weather is too hot or cold, as it can make it harder for the Boston to breathe.
As always, we encourage you to stick to a training protocol and supervise your new pup around the family. Even if they are kid friendly dog breeds, it is also very important that you teach your children to properly handle your new four-legged family member. Our Pet Counselors are always here to help make the transition to pet owner an easy one!
Interested in finding out which kid friendly dog breeds we have in the store right now? Check out our available puppies page and speak to a Pet Counselor today!
Sheltie puppies for sale are some of the sweetest and most beautiful around and Petland Knoxville has them!
The small, active Shetland Sheepdog, affectionately nicknamed the Sheltie, was once a Scottish farmer’s best friend: sounding the alarm when anyone approached the property, barking at birds and other animals to shoo them from the garden, and later, with crosses to Scottish herding dogs, keeping the sheep flocks in line. While at first glance they look like a smaller version of the Collie, the two are distinctly different breeds. Now, the Sheltie puppies for sale are mostly a family pet and very popular ones to boot!
Read on for more interesting facts about the Shetland Sheepdog:
- The Shetland Sheepdog stands between 13 and 16 inches tall at the shoulder, but it’s not unusual for them to be over- or undersize. A typical Sheltie weighs about 22 pounds, but a large one can weigh as much as 35 or 40 pounds. They have an average lifespan of 12-15 years.
- Shelties are loving companions for all members of the family, including the kids, but they can be reserved or even shy around strangers. Because of their protective nature, they’re quick to bark if they sense that anything’s amiss in their territory.
- Because of their intelligence, willingness to please, and athletic ability, Shelties excel at performance events. However, they have a drive to be active and they need several walks and playtime daily to be happy.
- They can do well in many different environments, as long as they can be near their owners and have ample playtime.
- While Shelties are very smart, you need to have patience while training them. Make training fun, with lots of affectionate pats and treats. Treats are always the best way to your pup’s heart!
Even though Shelties are a popular breed, they can be hard to find! That’s where Petland comes in! We buy from only the most caring, reputable breeders and we stand behind our puppies 100%. Want to check out all of our Sheltie puppies for sale, click here for our available puppies page. And, as always, give us a call to make an appointment to come get some cuddles today!